Basically, an ISO file is used to create backups of CDs and DVDs, and a single ISO file may contain many folders. However, you can even create an ISO from the folders on your Windows PC. There may be multiple reasons to keep your folder in an ISO Image file. For instance, you may want to create an ISO to keep all of your folders in a single place. It may also happen you may want to keep some of your folders handy ready to burn to discs.
Once you have created an ISO file, you can see the content by mounting them in a virtual CD-ROM. That means there is no need to extract ISO content again in a folder.
There are many free applications available in the market that help you create an ISO from a folder. Some of the good freeware are the following:-
Folder2ISO is the best software to make an ISO file from a folder. It comes with a single function, i.e., it only converts a folder to ISo. If you intend to convert a folder to an ISO image, then Folder2iso may be the best choice.
Quite small in size but yet effective, Folder2iso is compatible with all versions of Windows, including Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, and XP. It is a portable tool and does not require installation on your PC. You can run it from a pen drive also. It is hardly 1.50MB in size.
To create an ISO image from a folder, run this free tool, click “Select Folder,” and select the folder from your PC that you want to convert as an ISO image. Choose the location of the output folder by clicking on the “Select Output” button. Finally, click on the button “Generate ISO,” and you have done it.
WinCDEmu is a free CD/DVD/BD emulator software that helps you mount optical disc images by just clicking on them in Windows Explorer. Double-click on an ISO, cue, raw, or IMG image file; this software mounts an image to a virtual CD-ROM. Apart from mounting an image file, it also allows you to create an ISO file from the folder.
To convert a folder into an ISO file, perform the following steps:-
- Install WinCDEmu on your PC.
- Select a folder that you would like to convert to an ISO image. Right-click on the folder and choose the “Build an ISO image” option.
- When the dialog box appears, specify a location on your PC where you want to save the ISO file. Name the ISO file and finally click on the Save button.
Executing the above steps, you can build an ISO file from a folder using WinCDEmu.
AnyBurn is a multi-purpose software and also available for free. Using this utility, you can burn the image file to disc, burn Audio CD, copy disc to an image file, browse/extract image file, create an image file from files/folders, create a multisession disc, erase re-writable disc, edit image file and build a bootable USB drive.
To create an ISO file from a folder using AnyBurn, you need to do the following actions:-
- Download, install and launch the AnyBurn app on your computer.
Locate the button labeled “Create image file from files/folders” and click on it.
- In the following screen, click on the Add button to choose the folders you want to add to your ISO.
- In the “Add Files and Folder” window, select the folder from your PC and then click the Add button.
- Click Next.
- Next to the “Select image file name,” write the name of your ISO file and then click on the “Create Now” button. It will create ISO on the same where your folder exists. If you wish to change the ISO file location, click on the folder location and select a different place on your PC.
- Depends upon the folder size, it takes few minutes to create an ISO file. Once the ISO is created, click Exit.
ImgBurn exists in the market for a long time. If you’ve ever built a backup of your discs or you’ve burned a disc, you’ll likely remember the app. This app also helps to create ISO files from your folders as well.
To generate an ISO file from a folder using ImgBurn, do the following:-
1. Download, install and start the ImgBurn app on your PC.
- From the home interface of this tool, click on the option that says “Create image file from files/folders.”
- Click on the folder icon of Source and choose the folder from your PC that you would like to convert into an image. Then click the folder icon to select the destination location to save your converted ISO file.
- Finally, click on the Build button to construct an ISO file in your desired location for your selected folder.