The switch user option lets you switch from one user account to another user account on Windows 10. If you have multiple accounts on your Windows 10 PC, the switch user option lets you move from one account to other without restarting or log off. If your PC Switch user is missing, this post will help you troubleshoot.
There are at least two ways to fix the missing Switch User option in Windows 10, these are the following:-
- Fix the Switch User using Windows Group Policy.
- Fix the Switch User via Windows Registry.
How to fix the missing Switch User button on Windows 10 using Local Group Policy Editor?
If you are using Windows 10 Home edition, please enable the gpedit.msc before proceeding with further steps because Group Policy Editor is not a part of Windows 10 Home edition. If you are using Windows 10 Home edition and don’t want to enable gpedit.msc, you can use the registry hacking method to bring back the Switch user option.
If your PC Switch User option is missing, you can perform the following recommended steps to return it back:-
1. Press the Windows logo key and R simultaneously to open the Run dialog box.
- In the Run dialog box that appears, type in or paste gpedit.msc and hit Enter from the keyboard to launch the Local Group Policy Editor window.
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Logon
- Click Apply.
- Click OK.
Once you complete the above steps, all users’ accounts on your computer should be visible in the Start menu. You can easily switch from one user account to another.
How to fix the missing Switch user option on Windows 10 via Registry Editor?
If you are unable to switch from one user account to another, in other words, only one user account is visible after clicking on the user icon in the start menu, perform the following steps to fix it:-
- Press and hold the Windows logo key, and then press the R key to open the Run dialog box.
Type in or paste the following command and hit Enter from the keyboard to open up the Registry Editor window:-
4. On the right side pane of the System key, double click on the HideFastUserSwitching to open its Properties.
- Click OK.
Reboot your computer.
Once you complete the above steps, you can choose an account to switch by clicking on the user icon.